Thursday 1 October 2009

My Unfaithfulness...

I'd like to say I've been moody with my writing. But that's not the truth. I've been unfaithful.

There’s a reason and I’m here to justify. My “free” time is spent ploughing a virtual farm on Facebook which gives me virtual crops that I can sell for virtual money to buy more virtual seeds to sow in my farm. Farmville. This Facebook game has effectively grabbed my relatively short attention span these days and I find myself checking my virtual animals and virtually petting them rather instead of writing. What appalling infidelity. I visited the blog this morning and felt shivers of shame run through my system. I felt like an unscrupulous woman who has betrayed her husband and found love in the arms of another man.

But this just has me thinking! What a world we live in!!! Who ever thought of a virtual farm? The guy is no doubt a genius but a wicked one too! What next? A virtual family you will virtually live with? Virtual friends you can hang out with? Virtual food you can eat? What are we doing???
While we find pleasure in spending our time on virtual stuff, we compromise daily on our ‘real’ relationships and passions. I have! I’ve been unfaithful!


But now that I’ve realised it, I want to undo it. I want to call a friend I’ve forgotten to stay in touch with. I want to pet my neighbour’s cats. I want to play a good old board game. Maybe Scrabble. I want to write a letter to my grandma. I want to read the newspaper. I want to smile more. I want to love more. I want to be there for people more. I want to write more.

Phew! This is at least a start!

2 comments:

Irfan said...

Nice one.... You broke the Virtual Chakravyuh...

Chand said...

Babez u wont believe the silly life we're finding comfort in. I playd pictionary recently, didn't look at my cellphone for 3 days, didnt even remember the tele for 3 days, laughed enjoyed in nature....and tell u what...the thought of checking my mails didnt even cross my mind. I had a blast in my "real" life...the kind I havent in a long time. Hate the virtual life...hate it! hate it!