Sunday 27 April 2008

My changing home

I've been away from home long enough to well understand how much it means. I used to associate home with my house at 21, Nawab Chambers. That little flat out of 40 others in a building in central Bombay (Sorry it's always been Bombay for me! Mumbai doesn't go down well). Anyways, that weird smell every time I entered the building, the noise of my neighbours fighting, the smell of fresh Maharastrian food cooking - all this was my home. No matter how noisy the road in front of my house got (with processions, dances, noisy bands, etc.) I still felt the peace and comfort that comes with being home. For me, home was where my parents lived - my mum always talking about prayer and the Bible, my dad talking about everything under the sun (literally) and my brother not talking anything but just blasting loud music from his electric guitar!

Take away one of them or anything from what I mentioned above and I'd not feel at home.

However, things have changed as they always will. I've been away long enough to forget what that building smells like, to know exactly what my neighbours fight about now or even to get a hint of what's cooking. I haven't heard my brother play and my mother pray in a long time. I haven't argued facts with my dad knowing that he knows best for a really long time.

I've lived in five different houses since I moved to the UK and not one of them made me feel like I did when I was there! Not one had anything I wanted to look forward to. Anyways, I've come to learn that it's not about the place. As in - home is not a place or a group of people. It's this feeling inside you. This feeling that 'I'm okay now', 'I don't have to be restless anymore', 'I won't be judged here', 'I will be loved unconditionally here', 'I can be myself here' and the biggest of all 'I can shed my masks here!'

Strangely, I can only testify to feeling all these feelings when I'm alone and writing stuff like this today. Is this my home? Is being by myself writing and praying and talking to myself my new home? Is confiding in my diary and crying to Jesus my new home? I can't tell. Maybe it is. Maybe it isn't. I will only find out when I go back to Bombay - to what I used to call 'home'.

1 comment:

The Southern Sojourner said...

I remember reading a line from the life of a missionary where she goes back home, after many long years in Africa, expecting someone to come and receive her. No one does...This thought crosses her mind that she is not home yet. God is always there to welcome His children in. I first left home when I was 22. I haven't been home for sometime now. It surely is not about the place. It is more about the people. I knew deep inside that I have to overcome home sick blues. It is hard to suppress the welling emotions. It is only the assurance of security that you get from God that allows you to be free from the thought. On my 23rd birthday, my mother was praying over the phone and she prayed, 'Lord, I know he is in Your hands and that you are taking care of him. There is no need for me to worry'. It was comforting to see that mom was trying to cast her care on the Lord. I have always felt like I am a sojourner. I believe that there is more to life when one is ready to follow. My emotions and my fears are being taken care of and it is only love that has remained. It does make me feel good when I ponder up on the thought that all these years of my life, not even a single day has passed with out me being provided for! I stayed at the same place all the years. I have recorded a few songs for my little sister and my friends that I haven't seen for long. I have learned to enjoy the solitude. I may be lonely but I'm never alone. I have been constantly learning and I'm not the same old 'me' anymore. I'll be home one day!