Sunday 17 January 2010

Sentence Starters

I'm taking the liberty to add a few English words into a new category called "Sentence Starters" simply because they don't do anything more than that these days.

1. ACTUALLY
Actually, this word isn't used for what it means anymore. It's become an annoying sentence starter and some people overuse it so much it 'actually' makes me want to throttle them with my bare hands.

2. SO
So, this must surely be the most frequently used sentence starter EVER! It's also a creepy conversation starter. "So, you live around here?"..."Yes, and now that I know you do, I want to move to the other end of town!"

3. BASICALLY
Basically, this is more the sentence starter when you're answering a question. "What do you do then?"..."Basically, I'm an artist." Using 'basically' at the start of a sentence really messes it up, no? Makes you think there's more to what was just said, since what was just said was 'basic' stuff. "Basically, you're an artist, but what do you really do?"

Actually, I'm too bored to write anymore. :-(
So, I'm going to fly a kite now. :-)
Basically, it's what I do when I'm bored. :-|


No comments: